Soy curls are a vegan meat substitute that’s gaining steam, and guess what? They’re seriously good. Get convinced with this tasty BBQ soy curls recipe.
“Have you ever made anything with soy curls?” My friend sent me a What’s App message about a new food she’d discovered. I had no idea what they were, but I did know one thing: they were in need of a serious PR makeover. Who wants to eat something called soy curls? (Ew.) But Alex was intrigued. He bought a bag, we tried them, and lo and behold: they were actually good. Like, really good! “Tastes like chicken!” we said.
So: what are they, exactly? Soy curls are a meat alternative that’s made by boiling and dehydrating soybeans. The process is totally natural, which makes them a whole food and not a processed fake meat product. We know it might sound a little ify if you’ve never heard of them, but we promise these are legit good. This comes from two verrrry skeptical taste testers (us).
- 6 tablespoons Homemade BBQ Sauce, plus more for serving (required: no cheating with other BBQ!)
- 2 cups soy curls (available here)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Make the Homemade BBQ Sauce (or try our Vegan BBQ Sauce, Mustard BBQ Sauce or Sugar Free BBQ Sauce.) Don’t even think about using another purchased BBQ sauce: this one is absolutely worth the 10 minutes it takes to simmer while you wait for the soy curls.
- Place the soy curls in a bowl and cover with several inches of water. Soak for 9 minutes. Then drain and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a skillet and heat to medium high. Cook the soy curls for 3 to 4 minutes until lightly browned, stirring often. Add 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce and continue cooking 1 minute until starting to blacken.
- Remove the soy curls to bowl and stir them together with 1/4 cup BBQ sauce. Serve warm, with extra BBQ sauce for dipping.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/bbq-soy-curls/