The combination of chewy farro with mushrooms, tender vegetables, and gooey cheese is too hard to resist in this easy farro roasted vegetable salad.
Farro is fantastic whole grain, joining the likes of quinoa and millet, that we’ve grown to love after venturing into a whole foods plant based diet. This farro roasted vegetable salad recipe was the first recipe we tried with this grain, and we absolutely loved it. Over the years we’ve made it many times, which is notable since we usually take any opportunity to make something new!
The combination of chewy farro with mushrooms, roasted vegetables, gooey cheese is just too hard to resist. Need proof? Just ask my mom. After we served it to her, she went directly home and made this farro roasted vegetable salad for herself! Keep reading for the recipe.
- 4 carrots
- 3 medium red onions
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups dry farro
- 4 ounces Monterrey jack or Fontina cheese
- 1 handful parsley
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and chop the carrots. Slice the red onions. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Chop the mushrooms. Peel the garlic cloves and cut them into quarters.
- Place the vegetables in a bowl and mix with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then top with the vegetables. Place the tray in the oven and roast for 25 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender.
- Place 2 cups farro in a pot with 6 cups of water. Season with kosher salt and bring to a low boil. Cook for about 15 minutes, until tender. (If you have an Instant Pot, go to Instant Pot Farro and use 2 cups farro and 3 cups water.)
- Chop the cheese into cubes. Finely chop the parsley (using the same method as how to chop cilantro video instructions).
- When the vegetables are done, combine the farro, vegetables, cheese and parsley, then stir in the balsamic vinegar and another 2 tablespoons olive oil. Adjust seasonings to taste, adding additional vinegar, kosher salt or fresh ground pepper if desired. Serve warm.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/farro-salad-with-roasted-vegetables-and-fontina/