This rice and lentil salad is vibrant, filling, and protein-packed! Make it as a side for a dinner party, or bring it along to a cookout or potluck.
On to this recipe: which Alex and I ate over a discussion on our patio of how food is the great uniter. This rice and lentil salad has little to do with actual unity, unless of course you consider that it unites lentils and rice together in a dish! I created this lentil salad out of pure necessity, trying to use up items from our pantry. After boiling some French lentils and short grain brown rice, I decided to throw them together with a leftover red onion and some cherry tomatoes and fresh basil from our garden. For the dressing, pantry ingredients came to the rescue: a bit of smoked paprika, sherry vinegar, and mustard whisked with olive oil to create a quick sauce.
It all turned into the most delicious lentil salad that I knew we had to share here! What I love about this lentil salad is that it is filling and provides lots of plant-based protein. Many vegetable-based salads can be delicious but low on the filling factor. Combining this salad with a few other summer salads for a summer potluck can make for a filling summer meal; it’s also perfect alongside a vegetarian entree to fill in more protein. We’ve included this recipe in our summer grilling menu. Happy eating, and as always, let us know if you make it and what you think.
- 1 cup short grain brown or white rice (or 3 cups cooked)
- 1 cup french lentils
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 large red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cook the rice according to How to Cook Rice or use the Instant Pot method. Cool the rice to room temperature before making the salad: an easy way to do this is to spread it out onto a baking sheet and place in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the French lentils: place 1 cup lentils in a saucepan with 3 cups water. Bring it to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes until tender.
- Dice the tomatoes. Thinly slice onion. Chop the basil.
- Make the dressing: in a medium bowl, whisk together sherry vinegar, mustard, and smoked paprika. Gradually whisk in the olive oil 1 tablespoon at a time until creamy and emulsified.
- In a large bowl, mix the rice, lentils, tomato, onion, and basil with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Pour on the dressing and mix to combine. Taste, and add additional salt and pepper as desired.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/lentil-and-rice-summer-salad/