This veggie supreme pizza is supremely delicious! It’s fully loaded with savory mushrooms, green pepper, red onion, feta cheese and oregano.
What’s on a supreme pizza anyway? From some research, it looks like there are a lot of variations in supreme pizza toppings. A traditional supreme pizza usually has pepperoni and sausage, and potentially a few other meat variations. The veggies that are typically on a supreme pizza are mushrooms, green pepper, and onions. Outside of that, there are many variations! Keep reading for how we created our veggie supreme pizza toppings.
For our veggie supreme pizza, nixed the pepperoni and sausage. But to bring in a meaty flavor, we used our favorite trick: fennel seed! Fennel seed is used in sausage, so when you eat it, it makes your brain think of sausage. Here we’ve sauteed mushrooms with fennel seed, which gives them a savory, meaty flavor. Add to that the standard bell pepper and onion — and a sprinkling of feta cheese to add another hit of savory and salty. It’s so satisfying, and has the vibe of a delivery supreme pizza while being much healthier.
- 1 ball Best Pizza Dough (or Food Processor Dough or Thin Crust Dough)
- 1/3 cup Best Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 4 baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 green pepper
- 1/4 red pepper
- 1 handful thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons feta crumbles
- Dried oregano, for sprinkling
- Kosher salt
- Semolina flour or cornmeal, for dusting the pizza peel
- Make the pizza dough: Follow the Best Pizza Dough recipe to prepare the dough. (This takes about 15 minutes to make and 45 minutes to rest.)
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F. OR preheat your pizza oven (here’s the pizza oven we use).
- Make the pizza sauce: Make the 5 Minute Pizza Sauce.
- Prepare the toppings: Slice the baby bella mushrooms. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Saute the mushrooms and fennel seeds for about 3 to 5 minutes, until they become golden brown and start to release moisture. Add 3 pinches kosher salt and continue to cook a few minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Finely dice the green pepper. Thinly slice the red pepper. Thinly slice the red onion.
- Bake the pizza: When the oven is ready, dust a pizza peel with cornmeal or semolina flour. (If you don’t have a pizza peel, you can use a rimless baking sheet or the back of a rimmed baking sheet. But a pizza peel is well worth the investment!) Stretch the dough into a circle; see How to Stretch Pizza Dough for instructions. Then gently place the dough onto the pizza peel.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the dough using the back of a spoon to create a thin layer. Add the mozzarella cheese. Top with the mushrooms, peppers, red onion, and feta cheese crumbles. Sprinkle with dried oregano and a few pinches of kosher salt.
- Use the pizza peel to carefully transfer the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone. Bake the pizza until the cheese and crust are nicely browned, about 5 to 7 minutes in the oven (or 1 minute in a pizza oven). Slice into pieces and serve immediately.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/veggie-supreme-pizza/